Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Movie and a Nom: Slumdog and Samosas



Hey Hey! I'm starting a new segment on my blog called Movie and a Nom. Yeah it's pretty much what it sounds like, I'll watch a movie and make a nom to go along with it. First up is Slumdog Millionaire and my lazy Samosas.

I love Indian food and always order samosas when I eat out. So I thought I'd try making them at home! Unfortunately, while I may make an awesome pie crust I kinda stink at making other pastry doughs and breads. One time I tried empanadas and it was not pretty. So to make it easier on myself I used frozen puff pastry sheets instead.



I thought they turned out great! Like a savory, spicy turnover. Mmmm. The pastry was buttery and flaky and the filling of potatoes, peas and spices was exactly like in restaurants.



As for the movie, I thought it was good but not great. I feel like I've been hearing for so long now about how awesome and wonderful the movie is that it was kind of a let down for myself. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't think it was a great as everyone said but let's just say it didn't change my life. While I don't think I'll watch this movie again, I will definitely be making these samosas many many times.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to make them yourself:

Lazy Samosas
adapted from epicurious.com

1 package frozen Puff Pastry, defrosted
2 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled
1/2 bunch green onions (white and green parts), chopped
1 fresh green chiles, such as jalapeƱos, seeded and minced (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted (more if you really like peas, which I do!)

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool, then finely dice. Mix potatoes with rest of ingredients (except the puff pastry silly) and mash lightly to help bind together. Take one sheet of puff pastry and place on floured surface. Pinch together seams on both sides and then roll out a little bit, to about 12 inch x 12 inch square. With a pizza cutter cut pastry into quarters. Put about 1/2 cup of filling on each quarter and brush sides with a little egg wash. Bring the corners of each square together in the middle and pinch the edges together to seal in the filling. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with other sheet of puff pastry. Brush samosas with egg wash and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or untle samosas are golden brown.

And now I'll leave you with a few more photos of golden deliciousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment