Sunday, August 23, 2009

Peeeeaaaahhhh Buuuuuhhhhhh! (mouth full of peanut butter)


I've been craving peanut butter a lot lately. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, bumbs on a log minus the bumps (eww raisens), peanut butter and crackers, peanut butter straight from the jar (shhh don't tell.) So when I had the urge to make cookies the other day peanut butter cookies were a no brainer. And I found this recipe that includes oatmeal so that means it's healthy! Right?



Here's what you'll need: peanut butter (duh), butter, flour, oats, white and brown sugar, baking soda, salt, honey, an egg, and vanilla extract.



Mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl beat together peanut butter, butter, sugars, honey, egg and vanilla until well blended and nice and creamy. Stir in the dry ingredients in 2 batches. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes until it is firm.



Form the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place them on a large baking sheet and smush down a little bit. Yes smush is a technical term. You can do the traditional criss cross with a fork, or you can roll like me and top with some extra peanuts. I happened to have honey roasted in my pantry.



Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until puffed and beginning to brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. If you can wait that long that is. (I couldn't.)



Mmmmmm, stacks of cookies.


Peanut Butter Cookies
adapted from epicurious.com

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup old-fashioned chunky peanut butter (about 9 ounces)
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The epicurious recipe also included 5 ounces semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped or chips, which I would have added if I had it on hand. But I didn't :(

I think I'm gonna stop rewriting the directions for recipes down here because I think I cover them pretty well with the photos and I'm lazy. If the directions are complex I might do them, but otherwise let me know if you need more step by step instructions. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment